Sunday, May 20, 2007

Running home from BiLo




Today was quite an interesting day. We really only had one commitment, and that was to meet the owner of the pedicab business downtown. Phil has gotten a taxi license, and I am getting one on Tuesday. We are both going to drive pedicabs on the weekends to make some money. It is such a cool idea- I am going to get paid to cross-train! The pedicab is 100 pounds, and can probably hold 3 adults comfortably. Wow. And it is fairly hilly downtown!

What was really exciting was, there was a friend of the owners outside the building, and he said that "obviously" we were both cyclists! And the owner said that we were both "obviously" in good shape, but would probably lose weight doing this job! Two people in one day said I was obviously in shape- I don't think that has EVER happened before.

Well we both took turns riding each other and Jacob around downtown, to get a feel for the pedicab. It is a bit tricky to turn, and you really have to concentrate on staying in the middle of the lane since it's so wide. I rode them around for about 20-30 minutes and it was hard work!

Then, just to be sure to get my mileage in, I had Phil drop me off at the Bi-Lo while he got things for our dinner. It is 2.66 miles to home, and I ran/walked it. I have found that I have a very hard time pacing myself, and go too fast and blow myself up. I am going to start running with a heart monitor on like I used to when I ran before. I can keep myself at a certain HR and keep myself from blowing up, and that helps me to run longer.

On this run, I was running down a fairly busy road, and it was funny- all of a sudden I was like- yeah, I am a runner! Up until now I have felt like a "wannabe", but out there on that road, I felt like a "real" runner. Wahooo!!!!!

And just to prove to myself I am a real runner, when I got home I got into an ice bath. BRRRR!!!

1 comment:

L*I*S*A said...

What a cool idea for a job! Love the idea of getting paid to have fun and stay in great shape, too. :)