Sunday, May 20, 2007

First run with TNT

Yesterday morning Phil and I rolled out of bed at 5:30 to get to Furman University and work out with TNT. I mistakenly tried to stay on my nutrition plan from the gym, and ate 1/2 cup of yogurt, protein powder, and a peach. Definitely NOT the thing to eat before running.

We met in front of the activities center, where the "newbies" got to meet the veterans and talk a little about the runs. We were supposed to run 2 miles yesterday, but we all agreed it might be fun to do the 5K course on the campus. Two of the vets ran with us, which might have caused us all to run a little fast...I felt pretty good for the first mile, I was keeping up conversation. Into the second mile I started to feel out of breath, and started slowing down. I finally did need to walk when we got to a steep hill. Another girl walked with me, until I caught my breath. Our mentor (one of the vets we ran with) came back for us, and we ran together until I started to feel dry heaves coming on so I told them I was walking again. I heaved a little then started running again, at a comfortable (read: slow) pace. I finished up and was talking to the coach when Phil saw me and stopped his watch- we figure it took 36 minutes maybe. Happily, Gatorade is one of our sponsors so we got a bottle of gatorade at the end. Yum! So, I will NOT follow the nutrition plan Saturdays, or at least Saturday mornings.

We then drove to Phil's bike race, which was a LOT of fun! He rode like an animal, was in several breaks, and was definitely the most aggressive rider in the race. I was so proud of him, but I could tell he was a little disappointed because he tried to bridge up to the break with 3 laps to go and just didn't have it in him. He had been so aggressive though, that it wasn't surprising that he just couldn't do it. He was AWESOME!

Today- probably a run on the treadmill. Also Phil and I will be meeting with the pedicab company to find out about driving pedicabs on weekends!

No comments: