Thursday, May 10, 2007

This run ROCKED!

Back when I was running before Jacob, I very often had awesome runs. The kind where everything seemed just right, the traffic wasn't too bad and you could smell the salt air; you would see the regulars and had enough energy at the end of the run to go down to the beach and jump into the waves. Of course that had been after lots of training, and once the miles don't seem like torture they can be a lot of fun.
Right now, I am getting most of my running in on the treadmill. I find treadmill running boring, but constant. As in, I can set it at a certain speed and stay at that speed. I don't have to worry about accidentally slowing down, etc. I pop in the earphones and run. Well today, even though it was on the TM, I had an excellent run. First of all, I ran 3 miles, stopping to walk only so that I could get my shirt off. I finished that 3 miles in 34:30, so not too bad. Then I still felt good, so I decided to do some of those little "sprints". I alternated fast walking with little :30 bursts, first at 7 mph, then 7.5, and finally 8 mph. It felt so great! At 8mph I could maintain 30 seconds but probably not much longer. But it really felt GOOD! It reminded me of some of the runs I did in the Army, or again, finishing sprints at the beach with my running partner (who shall remain nameless!!!)
And today's favorite song on the run: Let's Groove, by Earth, Wind, and Fire. It's a song from my childhood. It makes me think of dancing with my family in our family room in our old house, laughing and having a good time. And that is what families are for!

3 comments:

The Traveling Yogi said...

Hi Patti,
I found your blog through one of the posts on Runner's World forum. I am also involved with Team in Training (have been since 2005) because my brother-in-law is a lymphoma survivor. And I have also started a blog this year for people to follow my training. You can visit it at www.mytrainingadventures.blogspot.com. Best of luck with your training and with your fundraising. If you really think about it, I bet you can get close to sending out those 100 letters. Send them to everyone! It really does work. I'm doing the Nike Women's Marathon, so I won't be at your race, but race weekend is such a wonderful experience. Again, best of luck and let me know if you have any questions.

bikephil said...

My dear wife Patti,
You inspire me, and amaze me with your strength and commitment. I can only hope to have the determination that you hold in your heart. Keep it up!

I love you always.

Phil

L*I*S*A said...

Excellent run!! I love those runs when all the elements line up just right. It's what keeps me trying again and again.