Sunday, August 26, 2007

New longest run...again!

It's fun reaching a new personal best. Every long run I do now, I hit a new longest run-fun! I was a bit worried that I may not be able to finish 14 miles, with the hip trouble, and replacing the weekday runs with bike riding. This weekend's schedule was 14 miles. I had planned to meet a new friend at the trails on Paris Mountain, but she bruised her ribs and just didn't feel up to it yet. Phil was out of town at a bike race Saturday morning, and I didn't want to go to the trails alone with him away. So I went grocery shopping instead, and worked on cleaning out/ organizing the garage.

That meant today I needed to get in my long run, absolutely today....so I told Phil that I would need to go this afternoon. I put a few new songs on my ipod, mixed up a big jug of gatorade, grabbed some sport beans and got going. I went to the gym to run treadmill, since it is a bit more forgiving than the road. I started out slowly, gently. My hip felt pretty good...I got to four miles and so far, so good. Five, six, seven- OK, I've made it halfway. Around 9 miles, my hip and left knee started to bug me. 10- ok, only 4 more miles. Hip sore, but OK. 11miles, pretty sore, but not limping. 12 miles- noticeably limping. I straighten up my back and hip is a little better. Miles 13 and fourteen were a constant switch between walk/run. It felt so great- I couldn't believe I made it to 14 miles! I got off the TM, noticeably stiff and limping, but I went and stretched for a good long while. I stopped at the grocery store- the cashier told me my hair looked good! I couldn't believe that.... got home, and climbed into an "ice bath". (I just turn the knob all the way to cold. I'm too chicken to put in ice!!)

I am feeling pretty psyched that I can manage 14 miles...I just have to keep this up!!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Yay Patti! You're doing so great.

The Traveling Yogi said...

Congrats on the milestone! Sounds like you are being smart with your training and your runs. Keep up the good work.