Monday, July 2, 2007

Nose to Grindstone

Saturday our TNT team met as usual at Furman for our run- this week's was scheduled for 7 miles. Now the longest I had run prior to that was 6, so now with each of our longer runs I will be hitting a new record! It was a warm day, and unfortunately, quite humid.
We started by running the mall- the mall loops around the front of the university, goes around a pretty fountain, and back tot he activities center where we meet- exactly one mile around. Perfect for adding the odd mile here and there to our run. So we did the mall, then headed out the back gate and ran the course we have run the past two weekends- country roads, past fields, and old railroad track, farms....great scenery. It is also very hilly. This week I was running by myself mostly. I really started out not feeling so hot- the first two miles are hardest for me. I never seem to feel good until I get past those first couple miles. Then it just seems to get better each mile. I went back and forth between wearing the ipod or not- frankly it is getting a bit boring. I did enjoy "{Killing in the Name of" by Rage Against the Machine, though. I thought a lot about my dad, like I always do. I was also thinking a lot about my cousin Tommy, who is over in Afghanistan right now. I figure if all those guys (and gals) are over there, away from their families, putting up with the weather, I could take a little Carolina humidity.

I felt like I was running out of gas so I ate my first ever Powergel. It will be my last. It is the consistency of snot, and it was a green apple flavor. Yuck! My coach caught up with me just as I finished it- and I almost puked in front of him! He gave me much encouragement and headed off to meet up with other runners and encourage them (he is so nice! and helpful, too). Anyway, I think I am going to have to stick with sport beans of shot blocks- I really don't think I can stomach gel again!

I got back to the activity center and did 1 more mall- it felt pretty good! 7 miles was a lot harder than six. Six was not a lot harder than 5. It might have been the humidity too. I know I could have run more, if I had to. Which is good to know. But it ended up being a very good run. And even better- the blue powerade that I guzzled afterward!!

3 comments:

The Traveling Yogi said...

Ha! I had to laugh when I read about your "first gel experience". I about pucked after my first one, too, but I can down them now in one gulp. Of course, I use the chocolate gel, so that helps. Congrats on your longest run to date! The humidity does take a lot out of you, so don't worry about being sluggish. The important thing is that you got the miles in.

L*I*S*A said...

I used to think GU was so gross, but it's the only thing that works for me now. :)

Knitty Gritty Thoughts said...

How great that you just did your longest run to date - humidity is tough when you run, makes everything feel harder! =)