Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Marine Corps Marathon

SO, WE DID IT!!!!


Daddy finished his chemo. And I finished my marathon!!

Wow. What an adventure! I have had plenty of time to process it all, since our internet hasn't been working the last several weeks. But I think I will need to spread the posts about it over a few days.

I flew out from Greenville with my coach, John. Luckily it was a fairly smooth flight, with a minimum of turbulence. John and I chatted the whole way, which was a good thing. I took a shuttle to my hotel, and Phil and Daddy were already there. We headed out to eat and then to the expo.

The marathon expo was a bit overwhelming. Of course, you have to go, because that's where you pick up your number and chip timer, etc. But gosh was it crowded! The Marines did a fantastic job of getting things done in an orderly fashion- but I knew they would! Once inside the expo, I asked one of the Marines for a chair for daddy. He got one from behind a big curtain and was just so nice and helpful to daddy. They were all so sweet and respectful.

On Saturday, since I already had my number and all, I didn't have anything I HAD to do. So we went with my cousins Donna, Jim, and their grandson Andrew to see some sights. First, we went to the Vietnam memorial. We looked up one of my daddy's drill sergeants from basic. It was all very impressive. If I saw the wall when I was in DC as a child, I don't remember it. It is amazing to think about the number on names on that wall. Unbelievable.

We then went up to the Lincoln Memorial, since Lincoln was Phil's favorite president! (Mine- Reagan). Phil and I ran up the stairs. I took Andrew down by the water at the mall, where we talked about ducks.

We then drove over to Arlington cemetery, to see the tomb of the unknown soldier. Again, very impressive. We were lucky enough to be there when the guards put out a wreath given by a group of vets from Louisiana. The guards are just so- STRAC. As my daddy called it. This was a word I grew up with at home- I guess you could just say they looked like not a thread, not a hair, not a thing was out of place. The steps are measured, the turns, all- it is like a highly regimented dance of sorts. Just amazing.

From there, Phil and I went back to the room- to get ready for the race. The room looked like a bomb had gone off in it!

Next post, I will tell all about the race!

1 comment:

The Traveling Yogi said...

Congrats to both you and your dad! I've been checking for an update to see how you did. Can't wait to read about the race (especially since this is one I'd like to do one day). Way to go!!!!